YOU MUST BE LOGGED ON TO PURCHASE A SECTION 609 CERTIFICATION EXAM
United States Clean Air Act
MACS Section 609 Refrigerant Recycling and Recovery Certification Program
Since 1990, over one million technicians have achieved Section 609 certification through the MACS Worldwide Refrigerant Recovery and Recycling Technician Certification program. MACS created the first technician certification program for refrigerant recovery and recycling, and the program and the MACS organization were cited by name in the Clean Air Act of 1990 (Title VI, Section 609).
The Refrigerant Recovery and Recycling Program developed by MACS to meet requirements under Section 609 of the Clean Air Act was formally approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) effective August 13, 1992, 30 days after the publication of the final rule. At that time, the EPA advised MACS that all individuals voluntarily trained under the program since its inception would be considered properly trained and certified.
Through the years, MACS has led the way and developed and expanded the certification program to reflect industry changes in technology, service equipment and procedures, tools, alternative refrigerants and regulatory requirements.
Periodically, the U.S. EPA requires all Section 609 Technician Certification Programs to update their programs, most recently to “incorporate information on three new alternatives found acceptable subject to use conditions in motor vehicle air conditioning under the Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) program, HFO-1234yf, R-744 (CO2) and HFC-152a.”
MACS submitted the requested training materials for review, and on November 13, 2014, received notification from the U.S. EPA that “Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS) Worldwide has met the requirements of the update and satisfactorily submitted revised Section 609 training and certification materials. With this letter EPA confirms MACS Worldwide’s Section 609 Technician Training and Certification Program approval. MACS Worldwide will remain on EPA’s list of approved programs.”
In addition to meeting the requirements for Section 609 programs set by the U.S. EPA, MACS was also the first organization to certify its program to SAE International Standard J2845, “R-1234yf (HFO-1234yf) and R-744 Technician Training for Service and Containment of Refrigerants Used in Mobile A/C Systems.” The scope of this SAE standard notes, “The technician shall be trained to recognize which refrigerant is being handled, how to handle it safely and be equipped with the essential information, proper equipment and tools, which are unique to these refrigerants.” (See listing of the MACS program at http://www.sae.org/macdb/gethome.do and click on “Search.”)
The cost per test is $20. Section 609 certification once achieved, is a lifetime certification. Click Here to visit the U.S. EPA website to view more information on Section 609 certification. Click here to view potential fines for Clean Air Act violations.
Important information regarding Section 609 Certification
MACS Worldwide P.O. Box 88 Lansdale, PA 19446
Click here to download a form to order home study tests by fax or mail DO NOT EMAIL CREDIT CARD INFORMATION. ($20 each)
- Section 609 certification is a requirement of the United States Clean Air Act of 1990. It is a requirement for purchasing R-12 refrigerant and recovering R-134a and R-12 and R-1234yf refrigerant. Click Here to visit the U.S. EPA website for a brief overview of requirements regarding Section 609 certification.
- The cost for a MACS Section 609 test is $20 per test. Payment must be made before a test will be issued online or for home study. You have the options of taking the Section 609 certification test online here at the MACS website, or you may order a home study test. MACS can also provide onsite classes for Section 609 certification. To learn more about setting up a class call 215/631-7020 and dial "0" or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to follow the instructions for ordering an online Section 609 test ($20).
Click here to follow the instructions for ordering a Section 609 home study test using the MACS online store ($20 each).
All home study tests should be mailed to:
- Section 609 certification is good for life under current U.S. law and no re-certification is currently required.
- If credentials are lost they may be replaced for a $10 fee provided MACS has the individual’s certification record on file. MACS maintains records for both MACS and IMACA Section 609 certifications going back to 1991.
Click here to follow the procedure for replacing your credentials or call MACS headquarters at 215/631-7020 between 8:30am-5pm Eastern Time.
- Section 609 tests are available in both English and Spanish.
Click here to download the Section 609 study manual in English
Click here to download the Section 609 study manual in Spanish
- Please allow 10-14 days for processing and mail delivery for test and credentials.
- If you would like to get more information regarding live webinar or onsite training for your technicians on Section 609 certification or other mobile A/C topics call 215-631-7020 or e-mail email@example.com
- If you need information on becoming a proctor of Section 609 classes please visit the proctor tab above.