Below is a list of frequently asked asked questions regarding Section 609 certification and the new refrigerant purchasing rules effective January 1, 2018. Please read through this list of common questions before calling the MACS office. IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE FINDING YOUR EXAM OR WEBINAR, PLEASE PASTE MACSW.NEXTTHOUGHT.COM/LOGIN/ INTO A BROWSER WINDOW.

Q. What is Section 609 Certification?

A part of the U.S. Clean Air Act of 1990. It is a federal law that since 1992 has required technicians working for pay to be certified to recover and recycle refrigerant.  It restricted purchase of R-12 to certified technicians. As of 1/1/2018, purchase of containers of refrigerants of two pounds or more is restricted to certified technicians. You must display a Section 609 card in order to purchase containers of refrigerant in quantities of two pounds or more. Visit for more information and EPA links to federal regulations.

Q. How can I become Section 609 Certified?

A. The Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS) Worldwide provides testing on our website at on our Section 609 page. The cost of the test is $20 per technician. Testing is available online and is the fastest way to obtain your Section 609 credential. It is also available as independent home study format . Training classes for groups can be arranged by calling (215) 631-7020 X 304.

Q. What score is needed to pass the test?

A. A minimum score of 84 needs to be achieved to pass the online or home study open book test. Proctored closed book group test takers must achieve a score of 72. A 10 question practice test is available at no charge.

Q. I am already Section 609 certified. Do I need to be re-certified?

A. If you were certified anytime since 1991 there is no required re-certification! Your certification is good for life. However, in 2015 the Section 609 program was updated to include training information for working with R-1234yf. It is strongly recommended to re-certify to obtain this training if you plan to service R-1234yf vehicles.

Q. How can I get a copy of my previous certification?

A. MACS Worldwide can provide a reprint of your Section 609 credentials ONLY if you were certified by MACS or IMACA. A reprint search costs $10 and you need to completely fill out a form for MACS to search for your record. Click here for reprint info . A charge of $10 will be assessed for all searches of our database even if we do not find your credentials.

Please do not fax your reprint request more than once.  Duplicate requests are slowing down our service to you.  If you were certified by another provider, please contact that provider.

Please do not request a copy of your certification unless you are absolutely positive you took a MACS or IMACA Section 609 test. If you can’t remember you are better served taking the test again. MACS is not ASE. ASE is not MACS. 

Q. What does a MACS Section 609 card look like?

A. Older Cards will not say HFO-1234yf, very old cards say CFC-12 and do not say Section 609 and they are still valid. If a distributor disputes your card have them call the MACS office at 215-631-7020 X 0.

Q. I am in a rush what’s the fastest way to be certified?

A. Visit MACS website and purchase and take the online test for $20.
As soon as you pass, you can print temporary Section 609 credentials you can use until you receive your certificate and card in the mail. As of 11/1/2020 we are mailing your certificate within 10 days of passing.  We use the US Post Office.  We can’t control the problems they are having.  98% of our customers have no problems.  If you know that your Post Office has been slow in delivering we offer expedited shipping for an additional $10.00.  Please call the office within 24 hours of passing your test to change your shipping method. 215-631-7020 ext. 313.

Q. Are there penalties for not complying with Section 609 certification?

A. Yes and they are substantial as much as $40,000 per day. Please view them on the U.S. EPA website at this link.

Q. How can I become a MACS Section 609 Proctor?

A. Visit MACS website and read the information about becoming a proctor in the Section 609 information. Fill out the forms and send them into MACS by fax at (215) 631-7017 or email to

Q. How can I become a member of MACS?

A. Click here to read about becoming a MACS member. Section 609 certification is not MACS membership. Members pay an annual fee for a specific set of MACS member services including the MACS diagnostic App for mobile devices. Join MACS.